Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Good Books




I have to recommend some good nonfiction I've been reading lately. I know, I'd rather escape into fiction usually, but I'm on a nonfiction kick.




The Poisoner's Handbook is about toxicology as it was an emerging science 100 years ago. It talks a lot about Prohibition along with poisoning. Really interesting but I warn it is gory in spots.




15 Minutes Outside is a month-by-month guide to activities you can do with your children outside.




Spark is subtitled: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain. There are chapters about how exercise helps the brain with learning, stress, anxiety, depression, attention deficit, addiction, hormonal changes, and aging. Those are all things I need help with so I hope it gives me the motivation I need to get exercising!


The last one is called Nurture Shock and it isn't exactly a parenting book, but it talks about parenting issues in a different way than most books. It sites valid studies about sleep, praise, self-control, teens, etc. Makes me look at parenthood a little differently.


The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New YorkFifteen Minutes Outside: 365 Ways to Get Out of the House and Connect with Your KidsSpark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the BrainNurtureShock: New Thinking About Children



1 comment:

  1. I've read nurture shock - good one. Spark sounds good. I get in to nonfiction kicks, too.

    ReplyDelete